Top 8 Drugstore & High End Mascaras

Mascaras tend to work differently on different people, because our eyelashes are usually unique. However, these are my personal favourite mascaras that have always done amazing things to my eyelashes! I like super black mascaras, that give volume, curl and length - I don't think that's asking too much... These are my 8 favourite mascaras from all of the drugstore and high end mascaras that I have tried.


1. Bourjois Volume 1 Seconde Mascara - £9.99
 - I bought this from Boots after seeing it had 5 star reviews online and having not tried many Bourjois products before. I fell in love with this mascara instantly. It is amazing! It does give me crazy volume, curl and length which lasts all day - this is not a natural looking mascara so if you are looking for that, I would stay away from this. It doesn't make your lashes look clumpy at all and I don't find that it transfers onto my under eyes throughout the day. I tend to use two coats but this mascara looks amazing with just one coat! The brush is thick and has interesting plastic spikes. I don't know why more people don't rave about this mascara! I really hope they never discontinue this mascara, but I do have 2 in back up already.


2. Maybelline Lash Sensational Lash Multiplying Mascara - £8.99
- This is a cult favourite mascara so I'd be surprised if you haven't heard of it or tried it. I used to be very faithful to L'Oreal when it came to mascara, but eventually, after seeing all the hype with this mascara, I thought I would give it a go. Straight away, I got what the hype was about and it quickly became a favourite mascara for me. The main thing I've noticed with this mascara is the curl it gives your lashes, which lasts all day. The brush is slightly curved with plastic spikes, and it gives you length and some volume. In comparison to my Bourjois mascara, this doesn't give the same volume but it does give length and curl. The only negative thing I've found with this mascara, like a lot of them, it has quite a wet formula when you first open it, but after a few uses, it's perfect!


3. Seventeen Doll'd Up Mascara - £6.29
- This is another great, affordable mascara that I never see people raving about. I use this mascara every day on my bottom lashes - people often say that's ridiculous, having a mascara for your top and a mascara for you bottom lashes, but it works! This mascara gives amazing length and definition and it does curl my lashes as well. I find that some of the volumising mascaras make my bottom lashes look clumpy, but this one doesn't volumise that much, so it is perfect for my bottom lashes. I've recommended this to a number of friends and they all love it! The brush is similar to the Maybelline brush, curved and plastic with spikes, as opposed to bristles. The name is very fitting for this mascara, as it does give you 'doll-like' lashes!


4. L'Oreal False Lash Telescopic Mascara - £10.99
- As I mentioned previously, I absolutely love L'Oreal mascaras. I think they make some of the best mascaras in the drugstore and they are usually super black! This is an old favourite of mine that I've been using for years and continue to repurchase. This one gives amazing length and curl and doesn't transfer or flake off. The brush is again, plastic with spikes (which is my preference, in case you hadn't guessed that!) and it really separates the lashes. It adds a curl to your lashes and it lasts all day without transferring. I'm so glad they haven't discontinued this mascara yet!


5. Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara - £19.00
- This is a cult favourite mascara in the beauty community, especially in America where Too Faced is much more readily available. In the UK, we can get Too Faced on Debenham's website, which is where I purchased this from. It has an hour-glass kind of shaped applicator which has bristles as opposed to plastic spikes. It gives my lashes great volume and length, although it doesn't curl them much. It is also very black. Some people have said that they find this mascara transfers to their under-eyes throughout the day - I've found that as long as you use a setting powder on top of your concealer, it doesn't transfer on me.


6. L'Oreal Lash Architect 4D Mascara - £10.99
- This is another personal favourite L'Oreal mascara, but this one is quite different from the Telescopic mascara, in that it adds a lot of volume and length. This mascara doesn't tend to curl my lashes by itself but when using a eye-lash curler, it's fine. It's super black, like all the L'Oreal mascaras and it doesn't make my lashes clumpy. It doesn't transfer and keeps my lashes looking amazing all day. The formula is just right for me, not too wet and not too dry. This mascara has a natural bristle brush as opposed to a plastic spikey applicator.


7. Lancome Hypnose Volume Mascara - £24.50
- This mascara gives me the most natural looking lashes out of all of the mascaras on this list, but it still gives great length and good volume. It has quite a wet formula but once it's dried, it stays put and doesn't transfer. It is easy to remove with micellar water or a make up wipe. This doesn't clump up when you use a few layers. This is quite a pricey mascara and I wouldn't have said it is any better than some of the drugstore mascaras on this list but if you are in the market for a high end mascara, this is a great one to go for. There are a few variations of this mascara but this is my personal favourite. At Christmas, Boots often do gift sets of this mascara which usually comes with an eye make up remover and an eyeliner for a similar price as the mascara on it's own, so keep a look out for that if you're interested in getting this mascara!


8. L'Oreal Volume Million Lashes Feline Mascara - £10.99
- This was my everyday mascara for a long time and I think I must have repurchased it about 30 times! Like the other L'Oreal mascaras, it's super black. This one has a curved plastic applicator with spikes, and it separates my lashes whilst giving them volume and length. It doesn't clump on my eyelashes and it lasts all day. The reason I swapped to the Bourjois mascara as my new everyday mascara is because it gives my lashes more volume than this one, but this is still an amazing mascara for the price. L'Oreal have a lot of different versions of the Volume Million Lashes - I've tried the Feline version as well as the original and both are great. The two of them have different applicators, the original has a straight brush and the Feline has a curved brush and gives more length and curl than the original.


It's worth mentioning that often mascaras work differently on different people, depending on what your eyelashes are like. I have quite long eyelashes that grow straight down and don't tend to curl up naturally. These are the mascaras that I have found to work best on my eyelashes and for the style of eyelashes I like!

Sarah (aka. Pale Princess) x

Comments

  1. Thanks for this amazing article. I loved it check haute her.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment